Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Mighty, Mighty Moshaweng

The village where I live is located in the Moshaweng valley, along the banks of the Moshaweng River. Except that for the first 8 months of my residency the "river" was nothing more than a dry riverbed with the odd puddle once in a while. Nowadays, however, with the wet season in full-swing, water has been pouring into the riverbed and it currently resembles, well, an actual river.

Loving water as we do, Shaka and I have spent a lot of time in past couple weeks scrambling up and down riverbanks, sticking our toes in the water and generally scouting around. It's been like a Lewis and Clark expedition, as reenacted by the Three Stooges and Beethoven. I'll be trying to gingerly pick my way across the mud when the dog goes wild over a dragonfly and I start teeter-tottering like playground equipment. I haven't actually fallen over yet, but it's a matter of time.

The river was highest a couple weeks ago after it rained for several days straight. It made a nice, idyllic, English country-side scene. With all the rain, there are now tons of grasses and wildflowers along the riverbank. Many of these have been momentarily drowned by the river, but they generally recover. The water doesn't last very long. Even at its highest, it down to mere puddles in a matter of days. Oh well, the rainy season is hardly over, and I expect the river will return.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so I lazily used Google accelerators to search for Kalahari... figuring I'd end up on maps and then I would find your river and maybe your village... and I got "Kalahari Waterpark Resort Convention Center, 7000 Kalahari Drive, Sandusky, OH 44870!"

    Hey, Kelsey! I thought you were in Africa! Have you ever been to the Kalahari in Ohio?

    So far, I've had no luck finding your river. This is going to take some work!

    OK, I found Loopeng. Good satellite views of the area.

    Your river is interesting. I am guessing that the river 'flows' NW, but that it actually barely flows even at high water. Or that the periods of high water are so brief that the high water does not really mold the landscape.

    BTW from satellite view, the Moshaweng is CLEARLY, CLEARLY a big, important river. Do you have any riparian flora near it?

    Another river that has odd joins with its tributaries, the one that empties into the Atlantic at Alexander Bay, looks like it is either tidal or (perhaps) the river runs both directions during the periods of rain... The islands point in both directions and the places where the tributaries meet the river also point randomly.

    Do you know anything about this?

    ReplyDelete